How do I achieve long-term athletic success?
Train with a training plan, because a goal without a plan is just a wish. Many people often wander around the gym without a plan, and don't really know what and how to train. Training based on your mood, without a plan, is neither effective nor will it help you in the long run. Success requires a planned approach! You should have a professional and well-structured training plan in order to make any strength training effective.
The advantages of having a training plan:
- It provides a systematic structure to your training to achieve your specific goal
- A good training plan starts from your actual fitness level, and adapts to your fitness step-by-step
- It permits a custom, periodised plan
- It provides a basic structure with training frequency, exercise selection, number of sets and repetitions, etc.
- It prescribes a balance between workload and regeneration
- It gives beginners the necessary help and orientation
- It brings structure into your daily training routine, and is a signpost in the myriad of training tips and advice available out there
- It is used to analyse or log your completed training sessions
- A set structure saves you a lot of time
It is important to train regularly over a long period. Therefore you should find a sport or a training plan that is fun and that you can keep up for a long time. You should also celebrate your small wins and progress, to keep your motivation high. Your training must be part of your daily life, just like brushing your teeth. It may be a kind of a "must" at the beginning, but at some point it becomes routine and a passion. Celebrate your small wins and progress, and be happy about it. After a while, you may want to bring variety into your training, try new training methods, new sports and new exercises.